Senior Operations Officer, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Organization: The World Bank
Country: Sri Lanka
City: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Office: The World Bank in Colombo, Sri Lanka
Closing date: Monday, 4 January 2021
Senior Operations Officer
Job #: req10406
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Colombo,Sri Lanka
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 1/4/2021 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org Regional Context: The South Asia Region (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka) is at a crucial stage of development. Rapid economic growth, driven by urbanization and demographic dividend, has brought down poverty rates, but severe forms of exclusion and disparities based on ethnicity, caste, and gender remain. Rapid growth has also come with congestion and pollution in cities. South Asia is more than other regions affected by changes in temperature and extreme weather event. Additional challenges are that South Asia is underperforming in exports, has large informal sectors and low female labor force participation rates. All these challenges must be addressed to secure rapid growth in coming decades. Private sector led growth, focused on investments in infrastructure, energy, logistics and cities are essential to generate the jobs needed to employ South Asia’s sizeable youth population. At the same time, the region needs to continue building human capital so that South Asia’s population is well equipped for the jobs of the future. The World Bank in South Asia: https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/sar Country and Unit Context: The World Bank has been assisting Sri Lanka in developing and delivering appropriate solutions to the country. Under the World Bank Group Country Partnership Framework (CPF) FY17-20 (which was extended till FY21), our program focuses on three areas: (i) macro-stability and competitiveness; (ii) inclusion and opportunities for al; and (iii) green growth, environmental management, and climate change adaptation and mitigation potential. There are currently 19 active projects in Sri Lanka, with total net commitment of US$ 2.365 million - covering a wide range of sectors including transport infrastructure, urban development, climate resilience and disaster risk management, rural development and community livelihoods, human development, and financial and private sector.
As part of the South Asia Region (SAR), the SACSN Country Management Unit (CMU) is responsible for overseeing the World Bank’s programs in Maldives, Nepal and Sri Lanka. The CMU is led by the Country Director based in Kathmandu, Nepal, supported by the Operations Manager (OM) in Kathmandu and the Country Program Coordinator (CPC) in Washington DC. The (CMU) comprises of led by the Country Director. The Sri Lanka country office in Colombo has approximately 60 staff and is headed by the Country Manager for Maldives and Sri Lanka, overseeing day-to-day management of the World Bank’s country programs for Sri Lanka and Maldives. The World Bank in Sri Lanka: https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/srilanka Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Country Manager, the Senior Operations Officer will be responsible for providing program management and operational support to the country portfolio of projects and analytic work at all stages of preparation and implementation. Specific responsibilities include: Strategic Directions, Corporate Commitments
1) Contribute to development of World Bank’s engagement strategies and support strategic dialogue with government and other development partners, including preparation and implementation of Country Partnership Framework.
2) Support task teams in integrating corporate commitments, global priorities and cross-cutting themes in the country program, such as climate change, gender equality, inclusion and digital innovation. Operations Support
3) Support CMU’s engagement with task teams and advise on WB policies and procedures for all operations and analytical work. Provide expertise to task team leaders on best practices. Liaise with WB procurement/fiduciary/environment and social safeguard teams.
4) Guide Sri Lanka office and provide support to CMU’s deliverables and portfolio milestones, including lending deliverables, effectiveness deadlines, projects under supervision (including monitoring key performance indicators), restructurings, Implementation Completion and Results Reports, and Analytic and Advisory Services and provide regular updates to the Operation Manager and the Program Leaders, as needed.
5) Provide quality assurance reviews for key documents. including Project Appraisal Documents, Restructurings, Implementation Status Reports, Implementation Completion and Results Reports, Analytic and Advisory Services, and mission documents.
6) Contribute to the preparation of portfolio quality, disbursement and pipeline reviews within CMU and with WB’s other operations units (regional development effectiveness unit, Global Practice units, etc.). Develop new and innovative approaches to portfolio reviews using digital technologies and agile approaches
7) Organize periodic portfolio reviews with the government counterparts, compile and analyze portfolio data and prepare all the materials for discussions.
8) Prepare inputs for briefing materials for the CD, CM and senior management.
9) Work with the Operations Manager and PLs in the preparation of Work Program Agreements (WPAs), and budget requests.
Office Administrative Procurement, Business Facilitation and related functions
10) Support Country Manager in coordinating the work of the Administrative Procurement Review Committee and related functions.
11) Oversee and provide support to the Business Facilitation Unit (BFU) and guide STCs and contractor staff as needed.
Donors/Development Partners Coordination and trust funds
12) Liaise with donors for consultations on the CPF and for possible areas of collaboration.
13) Advise task teams on grants and TFs management and as needed, play a program manager role to oversee new and some existing TFs managed by SACSL.
14) Provide briefing to the CM and CD on the engagement with donors and development partners.
Advanced degree (Master’s/PhD) in a relevant discipline, and at least 8 years of relevant operational experience. Demonstrated strategic thinking and analytical capabilities to interpret data and diverse information and lead to clear and concise recommendations. Sound experience in program and project management. Familiarity or experience in the World Bank’s portfolio/pipeline management, understanding of World Bank’s policies and procedures for operations and advisory services and analytics, and familiarity with its various financial/knowledge instruments will be an advantage. Strong spoken and written communication skills in English, including the ability to speak and write persuasively and present ideas clearly and concisely. Demonstrated ability to work in and lead teams, as a constructive and contributing team member or as an effective team leader as the situation may require. Outstanding inter-personal skills with proven ability to work cooperatively with a diverse, multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team. Demonstrated initiatives and strong drive for results, including ability to undertake a diverse range of tasks within a rapidly changing and demanding environment on short deadlines. Strong client orientation with high degree of motivation to deliver development results on the ground; Capacity for effective multitasking, with demonstrated ability of being an independent starter with minimal supervision.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions. Able to translate insight into practice across boundaries, hierarchies, geographies, and organizational units in services of clients. TEAMWORK (COLLABORATION): Strong ability to work effectively in a team environment, integrate inputs by working across practice units and at all levels throughout the Bank Group and shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches. DRIVE FOR RESULTS: Proven track record of high standards/accountability for work products; deliver under time constraints; an ability to prioritize tasks within his/her work program, and working collectively with others on the team to deliver products of highest caliber; Ability to take initiative, think strategically, be innovative and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge KNOWLEDGE, LEARNING, and COMMUNICATIONS: Demonstrated command of all forms of communication and presents in a clear objective manner in high level settings, ensures knowledge is captured and shared in a variety of ways. BUSINESS JUDGEMENT AND ANALYTICAL DECISION MAKING: Serves as a trusted advisor to others on their decision, ensuring alignment across units and optimal impact on the organization as a whole. Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term. REPRESENTATION: Demonstrates ability to coordinate; participate in; and act as a catalyst for, strategic cross-sector dialogues within sectors; across the country; among Bank colleagues and other development institutions, government, and other organization. Able to act as facilitator for practice teams and country units, as well as with clients, promoting integrated development solutions. MANAGEMENT AND QUALITY: Able to effectively handle various managerial and administrative functions such as human resource management, staffing, budget management, administrative tasks, reporting, quality control, and mentoring.
COS Generic Competencies: https://tinyurl.com/y34lnxvu
The WBG Core Competencies: https://bit.ly/2kbIA7O
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.