National Consultant, Civil Engineer, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Organization: Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
City: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Office: OSCE Sarajevo
Closing date: Monday, 1 February 2021
Issued by: OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina
Vacancy number: VNBAHC00949
Vacancy type: Experts/Consultants
Number of posts: 1
Duty station: Sarajevo
Date of issue: 18 January 2021
Deadline for application: 1 February 2021 - 23: 59 Central European Time (CET/CEST)
Date of entry on duty: 20 February 2021
Note: This is a consultancy assignment (10 days); pending 2021 Unified Budget Adoption.
The OSCE Human Dimension Department has identified several infrastructure projects in BiH that could help promote the department’s strategic objectives. One of the projects involves constructing a new bridge over the Bosna River in Maglaj Municipality at the location of Bradici/Fojnica (on the west side of the river) and Krsno Polje (on the east side of the river).
Before the war, a suspension pedestrian bridge was located near the proposed location. The bridge was destroyed in the early stages of the war and was not rebuilt after the war. The communities on opposite sides of the river have not been physically linked for over a quarter century. Two bridge options are currently being explored. Option 1 is a one-lane bridge for motor vehicles (mid-size traffic) including a sidewalk (pedestrian lane) and Option 2 is a pedestrian bridge. A bridge at the proposed location - either for vehicles and pedestrians, or pedestrians only - would have a positive impact on sustainable return, local economic development and post-war reconciliation efforts in the area. Due to the nearby railway on the west side of the river, the bridge would also help link the neighbouring municipalities of Maglaj, Zepce and Doboj.
Objective: The purpose of this consultancy is a) to assess the feasibility of constructing a one-lane bridge for motor vehicles (mid-size traffic) with a sidewalk at the proposed location and b) to assess the feasibility of constructing a pedestrian bridge at the proposed location. The task includes drafting basic technical documents (incl. estimation of costs) and to prepare Terms of Reference for the preliminary designs (idejni projekti) in the format necessary for obtaining urban approval by relevant government authorities.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Should you be selected for the position, you will be responsible for provision of the following tasks: 1. For both bridge options, analyzing in detail urban and planning documentation of Maglaj Municipality, survey geodetical data and geotechnical/geological data related to the location of the planned bridge;
2. Visiting and exploring the proposed location in Bradici/Fojnica (west bank of the river) and Krsno Polje (east bank of the river) in Maglaj Municipality;
3. For both bridge options, analyzing and prepare a list of the documentation needed to obtain the urban approval and to assess, in co-operation with relevant departments of Maglaj Municipality, the availability of the needed documentation (urban plans, zoning plans, cadaster, ownership, title to land, right to access, existence of the communal and other infrastructure mains, etc.);
4. For both bridge options, preparing a list of required preparatory and exploratory activities for these kinds of structures (geodetical data survey, geotechnical data surveys/geotechnical missions and others) related to the location of the planned bridge and in line with relevant FBiH and cantonal regulations and codes of good practice;
5. For both bridge options, indicating the estimated cost for the each identified activity;
6. For both bridge options, assessing the requirements for obtaining consent from higher government levels related to the River Bosna and the FBiH Railroad;
7. For both bridge options, preparing the Terms of References for the preparation of the preliminary design (idejni projekat) with content that will be sufficient to obtain the urban approval:
Providing a technical concept which is the "least cost" solution, with the Consultant providing basic sketches with approximate dimensions and position of the bridge (for both bridge options)
Including detailed instructions for the preparation of the preliminary design (idejni projekat), including list of standards, rulebooks, technical guidance and other relevant documentation (for both bridge options);
8. Based on the above tasks, providing cost estimates, in line with current market prices, for both bridge options. The cost estimates must include costs of the preparation of the technical documentation (preliminary and detailed design), cost of construction works and supervision of any other related costs needed for the successful finalization of the bridge construction (for both bridge options).
The final reports will capture all findings and results of the above stated activities.
- First-level university degree in civil engineering, preferably MSc;
Tags architect bosnia and herzegovina bridge construction civil engineering motor vehicles oral communication reconciliation spatial planning vehicles west bank
At least 10 years of relevant experience in the field of civil engineering, especially in design of bridges and similar structures;
Professional licensure in areas of architecture and/or civil engineering in accordance with Entity Spatial Planning and Construction Acts and relevant by-laws;
Proven experience as a designer and/or member of technical acceptance committees for infrastructural projects;
Excellent writing and oral communication skills in the official languages in Bosnia and Herzegovina, as well as in English;
Excellent computer skills (MS Office applications) and ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
Remuneration will depend on the selected consultant’s qualifications and experience and be in accordance with OSCE established rates.
How To Apply
This position is open to citizens and permanent residents of Bosnia and Herzegovina only.
Please note that offline applications submitted via email, fax, or mail will not be considered.
Only those applicants who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.