Senior Legal Adviser, Tirana, Albania
Organization: Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)
City: Tirana, Albania
Office: OSCE Tirana
Closing date: Monday, 8 February 2021
The majority of positions in OSCE field operations are filled by secondment, which means that individuals are nominated by their respective OSCE participating State. In addition, a limited number of seconded positions are available at the OSCE Secretariat and the institutions.
OSCE Presence in Albania
Vacancy number VNALBS00556 Vacancy type International Seconded Field of expertise Rule of Law Functional level Senior professional Grade S2 Number of posts 1 Duty station Tirana Date of issue 18 January 2021 Deadline for application 8 February 2021 - 23:59 Central European Time (CET/CEST)
General Minimum Requirements
The general minimum requirements for working with the OSCE are:
Excellent physical condition
Possession of a valid automobile driving license and ability to drive using manual transmission
Ability to cope with physical hardship and willingness to work extra hours and in an environment with limited infrastructure
Field of Expertise Requirements
The general minimum requirements for working in this field of expertise are:
Tags criminal justice criminal law human rights judicial reform law enforcement legislative process rule of law word processing
First-level university degree in law or significant work experience in criminal justice and/or law enforcement (the latter required for police corrections officer training)
Experience in the practice of law, e.g. judges, prosecutors, lawyers, etc.
Knowledge of courtroom proceedings and criminal law and procedure
Knowledge of international legal procedure standards and instruments
Demonstrable organizational, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills
Level of Professional Competence Requirements
Furthermore, this level of responsibility requires the following:
First-level university degree in a relevant field
Minimum 6 years of relevant professional experience
Mission Specific Requirements
Additionally, this particular post has specific requirements:
Minimum of 4 years of professional experience in the practice of law, e.g. lawyer, legal officer, judges, prosecutor, etc;Previous work experience with drafting rule of law reportsExcellent analytical skills, in particular with regard to legal reasoning;Excellent legal writing ability;Experience in project management;Excellent written and spoken English;Strong ability to conduct research, including electronically, and analyse information on a range of legal issues;Ability to work within tight deadlines and under pressure;Ability to operate at medium to high government/diplomatic levels and with members of the judiciary, including senior officials;Ability to operate Windows applications, including word processing and e-mail;Demonstrated ability and willingness to work as a member of a team, with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds, different gender and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
Experience working in South East European countries or other transitional countries;
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Rule of Law and Human Rights Department, the incumbent follows, analyses and reports on developments in Albania related to the rule of law. The incumbent is responsible for providing advice on Albanian legislative and judicial reform, within the Presence’s mandate. The incumbent is also responsible for developing and implementing projects in this area.
The Senior Legal Officer has the following specific responsibilities: 1. Monitoring, analyzing and reporting on developments in the Albanian legal sector, including the activities of justice sector institutions, the functioning of the legislative process, as well as rule of law related developments;
2. Monitoring and analyzing the Albanian legal sector in light of international norms, OSCE Commitments, and best practices from participating States, identifies gaps in domestic legislation and practice, and drafts recommendations to address these gaps;
3. Providing assistance, in close co-operation with national and international stakeholders, to the Albanian authorities for the implementation of recommendations;
4. Serving as manager for projects, in particular those supporting legal and justice sector reform;
5.A nalyzing and commenting on draft legislation and policies;
6. Prepares or assists in the preparation of various documents, including internal and external reports, memoranda, briefing notes, talking points and comments;
7. Establishing and maintaining close working relationships with international and national partners;
8. Providing rapid analysis on legal issues that arise in Albania as well as on legal issues internal to the OSCE Presence in Albania;
9. Assisting the Head of the Rule of Law and Human Rights Department in the programmatic and administrative management of the Department;
10. Representing the Rule of Law and Human Rights Department and the Presence at meetings, conferences and seminars, as required and appropriate;
11. Reviewing and editing reports, comments, project documents and other texts prepared by national and international staff in the Department;
12. Supervising one mission staff member;
13. Performing other duties as assigned.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Presence in Albania please see: https://www.osce.org/presence-in-albania
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages the nomination of qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds. Please note that nationals or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are not eligible to apply.
Candidates should, prior to applying, verify with their respective nominating authority to which extent financial remuneration and/or benefit packages will be offered.
Please apply to your relevant authorities several days prior to the deadline expiration to ensure timely processing of your application. Delayed nominations will not be considered.