Partnerships Manager (Global Foundations), New York
Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
Country: United States
City: New York, USA
Office: UNICEF New York
Closing date: Thursday, 3 June 2021
Temporary Appointment (9 Months): Partnerships Manager (Global Foundations), P-4, PFP, New York , # 116407
Job no: 540534
Position type: Temporary Appointment
Location: United States Division/Equivalent: Partnerships
School/Unit: Geneva, Switzerland
Department/Office: Private Fund Raising and Partnerships
Categories: Private Fundraising and Partnerships, P-4
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a Champion
The Global Foundations team is located within the UNICEF’s Private Fundraising and Partnerships (PFP) division. The team is charged with maximizing foundation partnerships for UNICEF. UNICEF seeks to work in partnership with the world’s leading and emerging foundations on causes of mutual importance, to achieve sustainable change at scale for every child. The organization’s vision is to harness the potential of the foundations community to increase financial investments for children, to exchange knowledge around joint areas of technical expertise, to engage their voice in advocating for children’s rights, and to leverage social sector financing for children.
UNICEF has established a number of highly valuable partnerships with leading foundations, which have been a major source of income growth in recent years. The Global Foundations team has been mandated to accelerate this growth, and identify non-financial engagement opportunities, by rolling out a new Global Foundations Strategy across key markets, including National Committees and Regional and Country Offices.
This role temporarily fills a post left open due to maternity leave. Under the general guidance of the Chief, Global Foundations, the incumbent will be responsible for driving high-level partnerships and ambitious new business opportunities with foundations, working closely with focal points in New York HQ divisions, National Committees, Country Offices and Regional Offices. In addition, the incumbent will lead on strategy development and planning for PFP’s Foundations channel. Responsibilities will include advising UNICEF offices and National Committees in developing strategies for mobilizing resources, devising leadership engagement plans, and cultivating successful partnerships with foundations across the spectrum of financing, influence and expertise. The post will have responsibility for supervising two Partnership Specialist (Foundations) roles in New York.
How can you make a difference?
1. Global foundations strategy: Act as strategy lead for the PFP Global Foundations team, working with the Chief, Global Foundations and wider team to implement and monitor UNICEF’s new strategic framework for engaging with foundations. During 2021, a priority for this role will be preparing for expansion of the foundations portfolio in the new UNICEF Strategic Plan 2022-2025. This will include strategy development, mapping and applying external trends to a UNICEF context, designing new models of engagement, and securing active support from senior leadership and colleagues at HQ, Regional/Country Offices and National Committees. Specific focus areas will include capitalizing on new foundations giving trends around philanthropic competitions, public-private partnerships and innovative financing instruments, as well as nurturing emerging foundations in collaboration with other high value channels.
2. New business development: Develop and oversee strategic approaches to prospective foundation partners; obtain buy-in within UNICEF family (HQ, Regional/Country Offices and National Committees), including at a senior leadership level; support negotiations and direct engagement with key foundations; and increase the number and quality of foundation partnerships globally. Primary focus markets will be the US, UK, and Latin America & Caribbean region.
3. Growing current partnerships: Work in close partnership with National Committee and UNICEF teams to strengthen and deepen existing foundation partnerships, including co-developing strategies with key UNICEF colleagues, ensuring strong collaboration across key offices, engaging UNICEF leadership, supporting negotiations and strategic engagement with foundations, and maximizing opportunities across the spectrum of finance, influence and expertise. This aspect of the role will also involve supporting the Chief, Global Foundations on key aspects of UNICEF’s strategic partnership with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
4. Strategic market support: Act as foundations focal point for the UK and US National Committees, guiding on annual strategy development, revenue targets and investment needs, and supporting on specific partnerships and new business opportunities. The goal is to maximize foundations engagement in these markets. Lead on regular bi-weekly and monthly touchpoints with both markets, to ensure strong coordination and support from UNICEF across the foundations portfolio.
5. Capacity building: Work with National Committees, HQ and Regional/Country Office colleagues to increase knowledge and skills around foundations engagement, as well as creating and implementing tools to support skills development for engaging with foundations. Provide guidance in developing, negotiating and implementing partnerships with the foundations community, and expand network of UNICEF and National Committee offices engaging with foundations.
6. Leadership engagement: Ensure that the Office of the Executive Director and UNICEF senior leadership are equipped with the intelligence and information required to support foundation partnerships at the most senior levels within UNICEF. This includes providing regular updates on the Global Foundations Strategy and foundations portfolio to senior staff (particularly PFP leadership and the Deputy Executive Director, Partnerships).
7. Business analysis: Undertake and support financial and strategic analyses of foundations income, including projections and actuals, inform market-specific analyses and opportunities, and provide inputs on pertinent trends and influences on the foundations sector. Lead on the development of new strategic approaches to foundations at the global level based on trends.
8. Institutional priorities: Remain informed of key institutional priorities in order to position the Global Foundations team to proactively engage with existing and potential partners around such priorities.
9. Management: Line management responsibility for two (2) Partnership Specialist, Foundations posts.
DELIVERABLES: Effective implementation of the above tasks will support the acceleration of UNICEF’s engagement with foundations, harnessing their income, influence and expertise to support children’s rights. This in turn will contribute toward UNICEF’s ambition of increasing financial contributions from foundations to $300 million annually by 2025. A key driver of success will be supporting organizational efforts to drive ‚new business‘ to the foundations portfolio, while ensuring strengthened existing partnerships, and alignment in approaches across all key markets.
Estimated Duration of the contract
Chief, Global Foundations
New York, USA is the official duty station. Flexible working arrangement can be requested if there is a need
To Qualify as an advocate for every child you will have...
Advanced university degree in international development, public administration, business management, communication, or a related field.
Alternatively, a first level university degree in a relevant field combined with 10 years of professional experience in partnership development may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Eight years progressively responsible professional work experience in a combination of the following is required: private foundations and/or other public or private grant-making bodies or organizations, partnership development, programming, communications, and project management.
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in direct relationship building and management of high value partnerships. Familiarity with UNICEF programmes is highly desirable.
Fluency in English required. Another official UN language an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and
core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results. In addition, the following f unctional competencies Persuading and Influencing, (LII), Entrepreneurial Thinking (LII), Analyzing (LII), Planning and Organizing (LII) are required.
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: May 19 2021 Eastern Daylight Time Application close: Jun 02 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Click the button below to visit the original announcement on the recruiting organization’s website.
UNjobs Association of Geneva
Not an official document of the United Nations
Link to the organization’s job offer: https://unjobs.org/vacancies/1622068319891