National Consultant, Environmental Protection, OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Banja Luka
Organization: Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Field location: Banja Luka, Bosnia And Herzegovina
Office: OSCE Banja Luka, Bosnia And Herzegovina
Closing date: Tuesday, 13 July 2021
The OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina (the Mission) continues to play a vital role in strengthening the country’s ability to foster a sustainable and stable security environment, to strengthen Bosnia and Herzegovina’s governance, and to encourage its consolidation as a democratic society. The Mission supports political and education reform and works to promote and protect human rights of all citizens of BiH.
The Mission assists environment ministries in conducting public consultations on draft documents and works with young people to strengthen legal expertise on the environment and promote understanding on recycling and responsible consumption. Through the co-organization of clean-up campaigns and multi-stakeholder meetings, the Mission assists local communities in rehabilitating shared spaces and addressing the problem of illegal dumping.
The Mission addresses challenges in environmental protection by working with the authorities and civil society in a wide range of areas. The Mission’s priorities in this field include improving public access to information and participation in decision-making affecting the environment. The Mission also supports local-level efforts to directly involve citizens in protecting the environment.
Objective of Assignment:
The Mission is seeking to engage a national consultant to develop a Handbook on Environmental Protection.
Duration of Assignment:
This is a consultancy assignment with an expected duration of approximately 10 working days.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the FO Banja Luka National Programme Officer, Human Rights, the successful candidate will be tasked with the following duties: 1. Undertaking necessary preparations to familiarise yourself with the domestic legislation governing environmental protection, including review of documents and reports on environment protection produced by the Mission and other sources, as well as its harmonization with the international standards;
2. Gathering additional information and conducting interviews with representatives of judicial institutions, in particular at courts, in order to obtain verdicts and decisions rendered by respective courts in the field of environmental protection. Reviewing and analysing all verdicts and decisions obtained;
3. Gathering additional information and conducting interviews with representatives of the civil society dealing with the issues of environmental protection about the legal remedies they used in their fight for the environmental protection. Reviewing and analysing all received documents;
4. Based on the gathered information and finalized legal analysis, completing a Handbook on Environmental Protection as a fundamental human right in BiH.
Interviews with representatives of judicial institutions, in particular at courts, and collection of legal documents (verdicts, decisions) from courts all over Bosnia and Herzegovina;
Interviews with representatives of the civil society and collection of data on legal remedies used for the environmental protection by the civil society;
Review of domestic legislation on environmental protection and analysis of its harmonization with international standards including UN, Council of Europe and EU standards;
Development of a Handbook on Environment Protection.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina, please see: https://www.osce.org/mission-to-bosnia-and-herzegovina.
- First-level university degree in law; - Minimum 7 years of relevant professional experience in the field of human rights protection; - Extensive knowledge of domestic and international standards governing environmental protection and human rights; - Extensive experience in writing publications on different human rights topics; - Excellent writing and reporting skills; - Excellent communication skills, including the ability to present complex or sensitive topics in a clear and understandable manner; - Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and in the local languages;
- Computer literate with practical experience using Microsoft applications.
Remuneration will be based on the selected consultant’s/expert’s qualifications, experience, the tasks and deliverables for this position and in accordance with the OSCE established rates.
This position is open to citizens and permanent residents of Bosnia and Herzegovina only.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE’s online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org/vacancies.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise/re-post the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
Only those candidates who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.
Requisition ID: HUM00000X
Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant
Tags access to information bosnia and herzegovina environmental protection human rights legal remedies local communities oral communication recycling
Grade: No grade
Location: OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Banja Luka
Posting Date: Jun 29, 2021
External Closing Date: Jul 13, 2021
Target Start Date: Aug 20, 2021
Job Type: Consultant
Job Level: Professional
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree (First-level university degree or equivalent)
Link to the organization’s job offer: https://unjobs.org/vacancies/1625076328859