Child Protection Specialist, Iraq
Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
Office: IOM Baghdad
Closing date: Thursday, 2 September 2021
Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 2 Sep 2021
Under the overall guidance of the IOM Chief of Mission, the overall supervision of the Head, Community Stabilization Unit and the direct supervision of the Protection Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for mainstreaming child protection principles within the Community Stabilization Portfolio and for supporting and strengthening child safeguarding across the Unit’s interventions.
Specifically, they will: Core Functions / Responsibilities
Provide technical support to IOM Community Stabilization Unit on child protection issues including the recruitment and use of children in armed conflict, worst forms of child labour, return of children to Iraq, and child trafficking, including the development of integrated programmes;
Carry out assessments to inform program and activity design, and support project and program development, in close coordination with relevant units;
Liaise and engender stronger relationships with relevant government counterparts, and advise on possible IOM support to child protection policy, legislation, and systems strengthening efforts;
Support IOM Units with strengthening child safeguarding measures and practices across Community Stabilization interventions such as Protection, Prevention and Countering Violent Extremism, Social Cohesion and Disarmament, Demobilization, Reinsertion and Reintegration (DDRR)
Develop and deliver child protection and safeguarding trainings for IOM staff, partners, and key institutional stakeholders;
Act as primary focal point for recruitment and use of children in armed conflict, including representing IOM at the MRM Taskforce, and participate in the Child Protection Sub-Cluster;
Undertake any other duties as may be assigned.
· Master’s degree in Law, Social Sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
· University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
Experience & Skills
· Experience working in the field of protection of refugees, internally displaced people, and/or migrants;
· Experience working on child protection in a humanitarian and development context, including at a policy level;
· Strong knowledge of national social protection systems and systems strengthening efforts;
· Experience in undertaking remote desktop reviews and risk assessments resulting in high quality analytical reports and recommendations for risk mitigation;
· Previous experience in Community Stabilization Programming and Social Cohesion;
· Demonstrated ability to work across a wide variety of sectors/teams on cross-cutting themes;
· Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality, respect, non-discrimination and safety of clients at all times;
· Good written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties;
· Ability to organize work, work independently and prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail;
· Good interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
· Fluency in English is required, and Arabic is strongly preferred.
· Any other language is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies: Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values: · Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies - behavioural indicators *level 2*
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies - behavioural indicators *level 2*
· Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
· Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
· Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply:
While this vacancy is open to both Internals and Externals, priority shall be given to qualified Internal
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via this link: https://iraq.iom.int/jobs/child-protection-specialist
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Link to the organization’s job offer: https://unjobs.org/vacancies/1629533889603