Team Assistant, Mexico City, Mexico
Organization: The World Bank
City: Mexico City
Office: World Bank in Mexico City, Mexico
Closing date: Sunday, 22 May 2022
Job #: req16874
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Administration/Office Support
Term Duration: 2 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Mexico City,Mexico
Required Language(s): English and Spanish
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 5/22/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
Regional Context The World Bank Group serves 30 client countries in the Latin America and the Caribbean Region (LCR). Clients range from large rapidly growing sophisticated middle-income clients to IDA countries to small Caribbean states to one fragile state. Despite immense resources, deep inequalities persist in most LCR countries, with nearly a quarter of the Region’s people living in poverty. The Bank’s strategy in LCR is focused on five pillars: (a) stimulating growth and improving competitiveness; (b) reducing poverty and inequality; (c) making governments and institutions work for people; (d) providing a platform for tackling global issues (climate change, trade, disease, migration); and (e) reducing risk, whether from extreme weather events, climate change, crime and violence, or other. During the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, LCR’s strategy is being adjusted to help counties respond to unprecedented health and economic crisis by saving lives; protecting poor and vulnerable people; ensuring sustainable business growth and job creation; and strengthening policies, institutions, and investments. The Bank will support countries in pursuing a green, inclusive, and resilient recovery.
CMU and Country Office Context
The LC1 Country Management Unit (CMU) is comprised of Mexico, Colombia and Venezuela. The Country Director (CD) is based in a decentralized office in Mexico City which is aided by an Anchor Office in Headquarters in Washington, DC and an office in Bogota, Colombia, headed by a Country manager. The Mexico country office has almost 40 staff, covering all aspects of the operational business from the ground. The CMU oversees a wide range of Bank activities, including a large number of financial services and a strong program of innovative knowledge, reimbursable and convening activities. Currently, the World Bank is closely monitoring developments in Venezuela, while not having an active engagement with the country. Given the setup of the CMU, extensive communication and coordination among virtual teams working in Bogota and Headquarters is required.
The LC1 CMU is looking for an energetic, high-performing candidate for a Team Assistant position in the Mexico Office. The candidate should be adaptable and flexible with the ability to take on special assignments as the need arises.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2-year term appointment.
Principal Team Assistant responsibilities
The team assistant carries out the full range of office support work, including managing processes and monitoring schedules related to their team’s/unit’s products and tasks. They coordinate extensively with service units and liaise frequently with team members both at headquarters and in the field, as well as external counterparts. Team Assistants may also be assigned responsibility for some aspect of the unit’s administrative functions.
General Office Support: - Handle the office’s reception desk: take accurate and comprehensive telephone messages, dispatch incoming correspondences, route internal and external queries on the assigned portfolio to the appropriate Bank officer, respond to routine telephone inquiries using knowledge of work program and staff schedules, and welcome visitors to the Bank’s office.
- Incorporates agreed comments into documents, making full use of shared drives and software capabilities.
- Uses word processing or desktop publishing skills to produce complex text, reports, powerpoint presentations, figures, graphs, etc., according to standard Bank formats and distribution.
- Ensure the timely dispatch of outgoing correspondences via e-mail and hardcopy, as necessary.
- Maintain an effective network of contacts with government officials, donors, civil society, academia, businesses, and other World Bank offices.
- Provide logistical support in the preparation and planning for various events including meetings, conferences, workshops, and project negotiations.
- Prepare, document, and distribute the contents of diplomatic pouch to and from Washington D.C. and other Bank locations.
- Tracks assigned task/project steps/timetables, coordinates with relevant staff and provides assistance and/or information on project-related matters.
- Maintains up-to-date work unit project and other files (both paper and electronic).
- Coordinates schedules taking priorities into account, monitors changes, and communicates the information to appropriate staff, inside and outside the immediate work unit, including officials outside the Bank Group.
- Solves non-routine problems (e.g., responds to requests requiring file search, etc.).
- Supports preparation of standard system generated reports
- Liaises and coordinates effectively with the country director’s front office as well as other members of the administrative team
Operational Team Support: - Assists in planning and organizing operational travel as needed
- Assists in handling of consultant contracts as needed
- Assists operational teams with processing tasks in the operations portal
- Coordinates effectively with the team’s support team in Washington, DC
Transaction Team Support: - Check invoices and bills from vendors, prepare payment vouchers and submit to the Transaction Specialist for processing.
- Follow up with vendors ensuring submission of receipts upon issuance of wire transfers.
- File relevant documents and vouchers systematically to support the keeping of administrative records, accounting transactions and bank accounts.
- Assist in the preparation and verification of quarterly VAT Refund Claims
Visiting Missions Support: - Provide logistical support for visiting missions travelling to Mexico including - transportation, organization of meetings, and catering requests.
- Coordinate all transportation arrangements for visiting missions, including arrangements for security escorts.
- In conjunction with and under guidance from staff in a specific discipline (i.e., Resource Management, etc.) monitor specific activities, (i.e., task budget, etc.) within their teams or clusters.
- Performs and other duties that may be assigned.
- A High-School diploma is required and Bachelor’s-level degree preferred;
- At least 2 years direct relevant office support experience in a large international or multinational or corporate or public service organization;
- Proficient English written and spoken skills;
- Proficiency in using advanced functions of computer applications such as Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), and dexterity in internet searches/web navigation;
- Committed, proactive, positive team player with a demonstrated ability to work seamlessly in a multi-cultural environment;
- Willingness to seek assistance from supervisor(s)/colleagues and learn from them;
- Ability to adapt to changing business needs, and to work under pressure;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, initiative, resourcefulness, effective time management, organizational skills and ability to handle confidential information;
- Ability to produce high-quality work under pressure.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Link to the organization’s job posting: https://unjobs.org/vacancies/1652028057394