Extended Term Consultant, Papua New Guinea
Organization: The World Bank
Country: Papua New Guinea
Office: The World Bank in
Closing date: Thursday, 7 July 2022
E T Consultant
Job #: req18148
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 1 year 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Papua New Guinea
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 7/7/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges.
The WBG is the largest financier of education in the developing world. In fiscal year 2020, we provided about $5.2 billion for education programs, technical assistance, and other projects designed to improve learning and provide everyone with the opportunity to get the education they need to succeed. Our current portfolio of education projects totals $20.6 billion, highlighting the importance of education for the achievement of our twin goals, ending extreme poverty and boosting shared prosperity. We work on education programs in more than 80 countries and are committed to helping countries reach Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 4 by 2030. For more information, visit https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/education
The Education Global Practice delivers operational approaches and evidence-based solutions to help strengthen countries‘ education systems across the world! While COVID-19 poses huge challenges, it is also an opportunity to be a catalyst for transforming education delivery in the future. The vision is not just that learning occurs for all children, but also encompasses the concept that learning should be able to occur anywhere, anytime, and not be confined primarily to the physical perimeters of the school. This is not only what is needed to make education systems more resilient to shocks like COVID-19, but it is also what the ‚schools of the future‘ should aspire to achieve.
The World Bank’s education team has committed to support countries throughout the Pacific Islands. Most recently, the EAP team has started work on a programmatic advisory services and analytics task in Papua New Guinea (PNG). The work in PNG is expected to cover four major pillars: - Teacher reforms and in-service teacher professional development; - Public financial management; - school leadership; and - monitoring and evaluation.
Job duties and responsibilities
We are looking to hire an ETC to work on the PNG Education Program, based in Port Moresby. Port Moresby is a non-family posting. A non-family posting is compensated with additional Rest & Recuperation (R&R) allowances, in addition to other benefits of associated with a short-term field-based assignment. The staff member will report to the Education Practice manager for the East Asia and Pacific region and will be responsible for:
Lead and contribute to high-quality analytical and advisory products that inform education policy dialogue;
Lead and participate in technical assistance work that supports capacity-building activities related to systems strengthening, education financing, and better education service delivery in fragile and constrained country contexts.
Share new insights and global knowledge on relevant education topics based on in-depth understanding of the local context, including adapting recommendations and solutions to client needs;
Help teams build and maintain local and regional partnerships and networks with external development partners, non-governmental organizations, research institutes, and others; and
Respond to ad hoc information requests from World Bank colleagues and managers, government counterparts, and other internal and external parties
1. Master’s or Ph.D. in economics, education, public policy or related field and a minimum of 8 years of professional experience gained from working with or advising education authorities
2. A proven track record of high standards/accountability for work products, meeting deadlines, an ability to prioritize tasks within their work program and strategies for working collectively with colleagues on the team to deliver products of the highest caliber.
3. Proven record to carry out effective dialogue with government counterparts and development partners.
4. Experience coordinating field research and pilot projects.
5. Demonstrated ability to think strategically, rapidly analyze diverse information from varied sources.
6. Excellent oral and written communications skills is essential with ability to prepare documents on complex subjects, speak and write persuasively, and present ideas clearly and concisely.
7. Demonstrated ability for collaboration in a multicultural environment.
8. Experience working with development organization, aide agency or on a donor funded program is an advantage, particularly having specific experience working on WBG funded projects and familiarity with WBG operations, policies, and procedures.
9. Experience working in PNG or the Pacific Island Country context, and prior work experience working in low income and fragile countries would be an advantage.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.
Link to the organization’s job posting: https://unjobs.org/vacancies/1656002555024